“Begin with the End in Mind”
– from The 7 habits of highly effective people
What is our end goal?
The “end” is to solve A-level problems. To do that, I would firstly conduct an extensive look through and filter only the relevant questions of each topic that you would need to answer, and develop a way to teach you how to solve them. Let me take you through step-by-step.
1) I look through and categorise all the relevant Prelim and A level questions.
This will ensure that I have a extensive knowledge of how questions are set.
2) I develop a way for you to best solve or explain each category of questions.
This ensures that everything I teach in class will be concise and relevant to you. Topics can be taught in a fraction of the time because only the relevant parts will be emphasized.
3) I then teach you the concepts and skills needed to solve each type of questions, and give you practice on those questions.
This helps you to learn how each type of questions can be solved or explained.
And provide you with a 1-Page colour summary
After understanding a topic, you do not need to read through 30 pages of notes when you revise. These summaries act as an anchor for my teaching, as well as provide a quick reference for problem solving and revision.
1) Although momentum is a sub-topic of dynamics, my research (through hundreds of past year A level and Prelim questions) tells me that momentum questions are totally distinct from dynamics and forces type questions.
2) Having analyzed all the problems, I have summarised the concepts into 3 ideas in the summary above. Within this summary, you will find definitions that you need to memorize, steps to solve questions, and information you need to know (about various types of collisions) to help you write your equations.
3) During my class, I will explain in detail each concept and show you how to solve different categories of questions.
4) You will then do some practise of past year prelim/A level questions on the spot to ensure you have understood the concepts and sharpened your problem solving skills.